The Golden Lampstand
I. INTRODUCTION - LIGHT & DARKNESS
God is light and the truth is enlightening. Furthermore to appropriate the truth will be to bring light into life. Light provides the ability to fellowship with those in the Church and the same Light (Jesus Christ) cleanses us from all sin through the work of the Cross.
However, the priest who served in the ministry of the Tabernacle had no idea what the work of the Cross was. He could not see into the future nor could he make the connection with his relationship with the lamp-stand.
A.The Power of Light
"Light" in Scripture is always expressive of the nature and manifested character of God.
1 John 1:5 KJV
This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. (Numerous other Scriptures bear this point out also: John 1:4; 1:9; 8:12; Job 33:30; Eph. 2:5-6; 5:8; Col. 3:3-4).
When one considers the power of light, especially from the standpoint of righteousness, several characteristics of light stand out in the biblical sense.
- Light is a symbol of purity and holiness and righteousness (1 Peter 2:9).
- Light removes the darkness from the surroundings (Proverbs 6:23; Isaiah 42:16).
- Light brings illumination to blinded eyes (1 Thessalonians 5:5).
- Light does not have any spots of darkness or sin (Revelation 21:23).
- Light brings the power for revelation (Proverbs 4:18).
- Light will shed truth on the nature and meaning of all things (1 Corinthians 4:5).
- Light brings truth concerning the world, sin, and God (Colossians 1:12-14).
- Light will clarify the path (Psalm 119:105).
- Light will serve as a guide and it will help one to walk out of darkness (2 Corinthians 4:4-6; 1 John 2:8).
- Light will dispel darkness and chaos (Psalm 27:1).
- Light has the power to wipe out, strip away, and erase the darkness of sin and deception (Matthew 4:16).
- Light will cry out to man (Ephesians 5:13-14).
- Light is the glory of God (Psalm 104:2; 1 Timothy 6:16).
- Light proves the power of purity (1 John 1:5).
- Light is compatible with the wisdom of God (Daniel 2:22).