READ Mark 14:12-26
v.12- the feast they are about to celebrate was Passover
- The first Passover observed by Israel was in Egypt
- The Lamb was slain and the blood applied to the doorpost of house; the Lamb had to be eaten/partook of
- Anyone who did not have the blood applied suffered loss through death of firstborn; both man and beast
- There was great promise by God to Israel/Egypt for all who obeyed this command
- There was protection provided by the Paschal Lamb
- We need to remember, the same lamb that brought protection also brought judgment!
- Exodus 12:13- "when I see the blood, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.”
- This observance and feast was to be kept by all Israel as a reminder of how God brought them out of the land of bondage
- It is this exact feast our Lord and His disciples are keeping
- While they are partaking of an ancient custom, the Lord institutes something new
v.22- "And as they did eat, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and brake it, and gave to them, and said, Take, eat: this is my body."
v.23- "And he took the cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them: and they all drank of it."
v.24- "And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many."
- These two elements of bread and the cup were familiar ones concerning the Passover meal
- Unleavened bread was instituted by God in Egypt and the cup, no doubt by tradition, or the cup was present simply because this was a meal
- However, Christ does something totally different with the bread and cup that has never been done before