A Great Promise from the Lord
I. INTRODUCTION - THE PLAN OF GOD IN ISAIAH
-This single verse of Scripture is one that comes toward the end of a segment in the book of Isaiah's prophecy that is from 49:1-57:21. The context of that whole zone of Scripture is the gospel of the Servant of the Lord that is obviously about Jesus Christ.
- 49:1-26 - The Servant of the Lord and the Restoration of Israel
- 50:1-11 - Israel's Sin and the Servant's Obedience
- 51:1-52:12 - Listen! Awake! Depart!
- 52:13-53:12 - The Man of Sorrows and His Acquittal
- 54:1-17 - God's Glorious Future for Jerusalem
- 55:1-13 - The Generosity, Urgency, and Effectiveness of God's Word of Grace
- 56:1-8 - Salvation extended to the Disadvantaged
- 56:9-57:21 - God's Message to the Wicked
-Context of the passage of the Bible matters! This is one Scripture that has been waved around for years as a magic rabbit's foot by a lot of well-intentioned people. While it can be a great promise to those who are downtrodden, there is also the necessary revelation that promise does not remove the responsibilities that every child of God has.